I'm back!

Posted by Saraline , Monday, March 29, 2010 8:14 PM

Well, hello there. I haven't updated this blog in over year. I think that it's pretty hilarious that the majority of the posts on my feminist parenting blog were made while I was still pregnant and not actually parenting yet. I had a lot more time when I wasn't actually taking care of a child, I guess.


So, to sum up, sorry for my long absence; I've been up to my elbows in fecal matter and getting accustomed to the whole mothering thing. I'm back now, though, because I've been reading some things lately that have prompted me to come back to this blog. There were three pieces in particular that brought my return:

1. A friend of mine posted a link to this column by Margaret Wente about why she doesn't blog. Wente asks, "Why are bloggers male?" This column is a load of crap. First of all, how is blogging remotely anything like driving a snowmobile into an avalanche? Is she serious? Second of all, this column is an insult to female bloggers everywhere. My answer to her question is, "Not all bloggers are male," and I'm coming back to my blog to prove it. There are loads of bloggers who are women.

2. In the post where my friend linked to Margaret Wente's column, somebody else commented with a link to a female blogger's reaction to the column, and this blog entry had another link to an article about mommy bloggers. I thought it was interesting, and I wanted to get back into the world that the author was talking about. I also enjoyed her story about the mother who was handing out business cards. Parenting is a full-time job, why shouldn't we have business cards?

3. Somebody in a parenting debate community that I'm in posted a link to this feminist blog where the author writes, "I think if some type of study was done concerning what women were quick to call CPS on other women, it would be proven that more women who are the mother of boys run to CPS about 'bad mothers.'" Oh, come on now. Mothers who have sons are the enemy now? We're a bunch of judgemental pearl-clutchers who go around calling child protection willy-nilly? If this is the feminist voice that people are reading, then there need to be more feminist voices out there, mine included.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to hit that "publish post" button so that I can feel the adrenaline rush associated with driving a snowmobile into an avalanche.

2 Response to "I'm back!"

skdadl Says:

LOL. Welcome back, saraline, and I'll be interested to read of your, ah, adventures through the past year.