My favourite bookstore in the world

Posted by Saraline , Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:53 PM

It's that time of year again. The Montreal Mirror has opened voting for their Best of Montreal special. They have a category for "best local blog." What? I'm just sayin' is all.

Every year when it's time to vote for the Best of Montreal, I relish the opportunity to vote for my favourite bookstore ever. No, not Chapters. I'm talking about The Concordia Community Solidarity Co-op Bookstore. It has a cozy environment, friendly and helpful staff, a great women's studies section, and a great gender and sexuality section.

When I first started going to the Co-op Bookstore, they were located in the basement of Concordia's Hall Building. They've since moved to a new location and I was very happy for them. Their new space is much more cheerful. On top of all the good things that I've already mentioned, they're also a non-profit organization. This is their mandate:

- Strives to make education and information more accessible to University Community through its products, services and pricing policies.

- Will offer and provide a wide range of products including alternative forms of media and information.

- Provides a viable example of a business alternative to the capitalist norm.

- Is responsible to the needs and concerns of it’s user, worker and support members.

- Will act responsively and respectively to user input and concerns.

- Will use it’s profits to ameliorate the services and products it can offer it’s clients and members.

- Will favor to do business with businesses and organizations with ethical and environmentally friendly operation standards.

- Will make environmentally friendly decisions when ordering products and conducting daily business.

- Supports and respects student initiatives.

- Will work in solidarity with community groups who represent positive initiatives.

- Will work towards maintaining a positive relationship with Concordia University.

- Will ensure it’s store space and events are accessible to those with disabilities.

- Is a non-discriminatory positive space.

- Will hire new employees based on abilities and competences that compliment a retail environment and our mandate.

- Offers employment to full-time students at above minimum wage standards.

- Will provide a safe work environment.

I highly recommend that you check them out if you haven't yet had the chance.

3 Response to "My favourite bookstore in the world"

skdadl Says:

Saraline, the link to Best of Montreal isn't working for me. *hint hint*

A bookstore with character is such a joy. We've lost so many of them over the last couple of decades, so it's important for us to love the ones that persist. Good for you for helping a great co-op along.

lagatta à montréal Says:

One of my favourite bookshops here was Abya Yala (a word for the American continent in a South American Indigenous Language) - it had lots of books in Spanish, some in Brazilian Portuguese, French and English, and a precious few in Indigenous languages. Alas the rent on the "upper Main" went up in anticipation of the area's trendiness, though actually most businesses, even restaurants, founder between Mont-Royal and Laurier...

The German-language Das Buch at Goethe Institut is closing too.

Last time I was at the Concordia coop it was in that dreadful basement space in the Hall Building. I will check them out if I should want books in English. Not too many - looking at women's issues only through North American (and usually USian) and anglophone eyes bothers me a lot.

I do hope you are reading in French as well!

By the way, in terms of cheapo, in French, English and other languages, there is a surprisingly well-organised selection at Le Chaînon (charity shop, corner St-Laurent and Mont-Royal). You'll also find some nice stuff at Renaissance Montréal near Jarry Park, but it isn't as well organised. I've found good books for very small children at both those places, for a dollar or two.

Saraline Says:

Oops, thanks for letting me know! I've edited the link and it seems to be working now.

I would be so heartbroken if the Co-op Bookstore ever closed. It really is a treasure.