Posted by Saraline , Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:53 PM
It's that time of year again. The Montreal Mirror has opened voting for their Best of Montreal special. They have a category for "best local blog." What? I'm just sayin' is all.
Every year when it's time to vote for the Best of Montreal, I relish the opportunity to vote for my favourite bookstore ever. No, not Chapters. I'm talking about The Concordia Community Solidarity Co-op Bookstore. It has a cozy environment, friendly and helpful staff, a great women's studies section, and a great gender and sexuality section.
When I first started going to the Co-op Bookstore, they were located in the basement of Concordia's Hall Building. They've since moved to a new location and I was very happy for them. Their new space is much more cheerful. On top of all the good things that I've already mentioned, they're also a non-profit organization. This is their mandate:
- Strives to make education and information more accessible to University Community through its products, services and pricing policies.
- Will offer and provide a wide range of products including alternative forms of media and information.
- Provides a viable example of a business alternative to the capitalist norm.
- Is responsible to the needs and concerns of it’s user, worker and support members.
- Will act responsively and respectively to user input and concerns.
- Will use it’s profits to ameliorate the services and products it can offer it’s clients and members.
- Will favor to do business with businesses and organizations with ethical and environmentally friendly operation standards.
- Will make environmentally friendly decisions when ordering products and conducting daily business.
- Supports and respects student initiatives.
- Will work in solidarity with community groups who represent positive initiatives.
- Will work towards maintaining a positive relationship with Concordia University.
- Will ensure it’s store space and events are accessible to those with disabilities.
- Is a non-discriminatory positive space.
- Will hire new employees based on abilities and competences that compliment a retail environment and our mandate.
- Offers employment to full-time students at above minimum wage standards.
- Will provide a safe work environment.
I highly recommend that you check them out if you haven't yet had the chance.